A Short History of the Apostolic Missionary Movement - 1922 to 2012
The passion born in the leaders of the Apostolic Church for missionary work stems, from their belief in the last command of Jesus: Mark 16 v 15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature”. This passion inspired them to embark on a missionary programme that has resulted in the Gospel of Jesus Christ touching the lives of people all over the world.
The Council of Apostles convened in 1922 was entitled ‘A Missionary Council’ which established the principle that the purpose for its existence, was to be a ‘Sending Church’ - and its objective: to preach the gospel to as many as unreached peoples of the world as possible. The phrase that encapsulated their vision was called ‘Belting the Globe’.
The first missionaries approved by the apostles and sent to Argentina, were Pastor & Mrs J Hollis and Evangelist D Morris. They sailed from Liverpool on 13th July 1922. The most memorable of their coverts was a member of the Louis Palo family, a family that is still being used by God to spread the gospel all around the world. On 30th August 1922 Pastor DP Williams and three other apostles sailed from Liverpool bound for New York and went on to visit Philadelphia.
Pastor Hugh Mitchell the Missionary Secretary from 1942 to 1947 wrote in the ‘Vision Glorious’ (a special issue to celebrate 25 years of Missionary endeavour) the following: “The Apostolic Missionary Movement was entrusted with the task of taking the Apostolic message to all countries overseas, there is no land civilised or uncivilised, which is not a legitimate Mission Field”.
Missionaries have been sent to the continents of Europe, Asia, Australasia and Africa and North & South America and Canada. Nigeria is one of the most successful mission fields and now has approximately 5 million members. The Apostolic Church is established in Ghana, Burkina Faso, The DRC, Cameroon, Toga, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and South Africa. Since 1985 new doors of opportunity opened in Africa and mission fields were established in Malawi and Mozambique. In the 1990’s new fields were opened in Chile and Latvia. In 1987 Pastor Granville Johnson gave a prophetic word that the Hammer and Sickle on the communist flag would be replaced by the Cross - this came to pass in 1989 as Communism collapsed in Russia. In 1990 Pastor Ken Rees and Ernest Williams visited the Latvia and doors were opened to the gospel.